---------------------------------------------

Sunday, March 1, 2015

BENGKOANG : A PRETTY BLUE FLOWER

When I went to Nursery Division, I found this beautiful flower.
Yea... this was a Bengkoang flower (Pachyrhizus erosus) or yam bean.



Yam bean is known  as Mexican yam or Mexican turnip.
In Indonesia it's well known as bengkuang, bengkoang, bangkuang or besusu.
It's grown for its edible tuberous root.
Here, the root is usually eaten raw or for 'rujak', a mixed spicy fruit salad.



This flower was so pretty.
What a shame, I took low quality seeds, so no seed have germinated.
I have to took a healthy and ripen bean, that means good quality seeds too.
So I can add blue color in my garden, and get yummy and crispy root too.

22 comments:

  1. Never seen them before. pretty purple flower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you can find this plant on your country.

      Delete
  2. Don't think I have seen the flowers before too. But I have seeing similar kind of blooms from different vines. Hope you get some turnips soon. Love them in raja :-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flower of this plant is usually removed to stimulate the root growth. So it's so rare to find the bloom.

      Delete
  3. Flowers from edible plants can be just a pretty as ornamentals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's such a delicate blue - very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nie znam tej rośliny ale kwiat wygląda ślicznie.
    Przesyłam pozdrowienia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In Mexico and the United States, this is called "jicama". It is often eaten raw, as you said, but sometimes cooked as a substitute for water chestnut, since it stays crisp when cooked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have ever heard about that. Sounds so interesting!

      Delete
  7. Lovely blue colour! Do you eat the beans and the roots?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful flower! I would grow it for the flowers even if the root wasn't so tasty. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful flowers, hope you get some tasty roots too :-)

    ReplyDelete