---------------------------------------------

Monday, August 12, 2013

HARVESTING GINGER

I have a little patch of ginger (Zingiber officinale). 
I plant both of white and red ginger. 
Ginger is the most popular spice in Indonesia. 
Most of Indonesian dishes use ginger as an ingredient. 
The rhizome is also used as stuff on traditional medicines.
Last Saturday when I was walking around my back yard, I found my ginger patch seem so poor. 
The leaves looked yellow and dry. 
I though they were ready to be harvested. 
Here they are...















6 comments:

  1. that is interesting. I have not seen ginger like that before.
    I cook with the powder ginger. Not with the real thing. How
    do you store it?

    Did you find some sunflower seeds yet? Mine still have
    not bloom. We are still cool and rainy. It's suppose to be
    in the 90's hot and sunny. Oh well. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We use red ginger for medical equipment. The taste is very hot and aromatic. We use fresh white ginger for many kind of dishes. After harvesting, we should wash them on the flowing water until they absolutely clean. I use to store them in the room temperature. Sometimes we store the gingers in the plastic bag, but we must covered the rhizome by the papers before. It's will keep them fresh for about 3 month. I haven't find sunflower seeds yet. Have a nice day...

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It's traditional bamboo basket. I usually use it to wash vegetables. I like every natural things. Thanks for coming by...

      Delete
  3. How neat! For some reason, I love plants that grow underground (carrots, peanuts, etc) I think it's the excitement of the surprise you will find when you pull them up. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Nice to meet you again. Yes, sometimes they are really surprising. Thanks for visiting... Have a nice day!

      Delete