---------------------------------------------

Monday, August 1, 2016

RAISED BED ON JULY


Our raised bed in the backyard is not doing well.
After snail attack, we have sting bug and also grasshoppers attack.
They're making our plants looks so poor.
At the first week so many plants looks so well.
The shade in this area make the problem become worst.
Actually dry season is much better for gardening in our garden.
But now, it's so hard...
From five beds, only two beds that looks fairly productive.
The first bed, I planted cauliflower, striped amaranth, kangkung, eggplant and hot pepper. 


But all seem so poor...


The second bed looks better.


I planted green okra or lady fingers, long yard bean, red amaranth, mustard green, thai basil, butterfly pea and purslane here.


I'm growing Krokot or purslane (Portulaca oleracea) for its benefit for our health. 
This plant is well known as edible weed here.
I grow it amongs the mustard green.


Hoping we will have better weather for gardening this August.
New hope, new spirit.
Happy gardening for all...

10 comments:

  1. Oh yes! I need the same kind of spirit also. Stay positive :) Endah, I learnt that coleus (ati-ati) can be eaten as vegetable also. Do you cook coleus ? Or is it certain type of coleus only? Do you know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never eaten coleus leaves. But some people in our caountry use to cook the shoot and young leaves. They cook the local coleus, that have dark purplish-red color

      Delete
  2. Hope the pest will keep away from your vegetables! The lady's finger bed look so good!
    I have seen krokot in market! It's edible here too! but it's very difficult to get ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wouldn't it be nice if the weather was warm but not too hot all the time, and if the rain would fall every few days--just enough to keep the plants healthy? Maybe California is the place to be for perfect weather--but then that would be boring. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Warm-humid weather is the best condition for the bacteria and fungus to grow. They will spread quickly...

      Delete
  4. Oh, it is so disheartening when all the hard work is ruined by pest and diseases or munching critters in the garden. I hope you find a solution so you can save your harvest.
    By the way, I am growing red amaranth too this year, Amaranthus tricolour 'Red Army' – I don’t intend to eat it, I just grow it for the amazing flowers – but I might take a few young leaves for salad :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you should taste your red amaranth leaves, the young leaf is tasty.

      Delete