---------------------------------------------

Monday, September 16, 2013

FLOWER OF THE WEEK - BILIMBI


There are something different on my bilimbi.
I'm finding red-maroon color on that bark.
Wow... my bilimbi is blooming.
That barks are full of flowers.
I have a bilimbi on my front yard.
Bilimbi (Averrhoa bilimbi) is well known as cucumber tree or tree sorrel.
In Indonesia it's called belimbing wuluh or belimbing asam.
That flowers have a lot of usefulness.
We usually use that flower  infusion to reduce cough, gingivitis and thrush.
High vitamin C source...
If we put the red flowers onto the hot-warm water, the soaking water will change into reddish color. 
That's red flowers are sought as the ingredients of natural red dye for traditional textiles.
The leaf infusion is a remedy for coughs and is taken after childbirth as a tonic. 
Bilimbi leaves decoction is taken to relieve rectal inflammation, rheumatism, high blood pressure and parotitis.

A cluster of flowers...


Flower... flower... flower...

Flowering bark


Green leaves with reddish shoot

6 comments:

  1. Flowering bark! Amazing! I thought that I had misread and that you meant something besides bark. But your photos proved you were right. Beautiful flower! Linda@Wetcreek Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bilimbi have a few branchs, so the fruits and flowers will emerge from the bark. I hope you will see the fruiting stage forward. So interesting. Thank you for coming

      Delete
  2. Welcome Endah!
    I've never seen such a plant. In my cold country such egoztyczne trees, plants do not grow. now beginning to fall. Still it's raining, it's cloudy and rather refrigerator 8 degrees Celsius
    I admire your wonderful pictures.
    I send greetings from a long cold Polish.
    Lucia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is the end of dry season. There are so many drizzle and cloud hanging on the sky. This is flowering season for many fruit trees in Indonesia. I'm glad you enjoy my blog. Thank you for coming

      Delete
  3. Amazing.........would love to see that some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bilimbi is a tropical plant, it's love warm weather. I hope someday you will touch and taste the flowers.

      Delete