---------------------------------------------

Thursday, April 17, 2014

PUMPKIN : INVASION...

This season, I'm having a pumpkin vine on my raised bed in my eastern back yard.
I don't know which variety is it.
I couldn't remember when I sowed the seed.
As I recall, the vine had been there since the previous pumpkin planting (the last was Rocky).
I planted the vine vertically on the trellis in front of my kitchen.


This vine grow so thrives.
Look the shoots... go here and there...
I can find the shoots on my terrace garden.


Some shoots have reach the roof of my drying area.


I can find some female flower buds on the vine.


Look the wide leaf...


The vine is covering the broccoli and packcoy plot.


I pick some pumpkin leaves to reduce the 'vine load'.


Actually, I want to 'restore' the vine to the trellis. 
But I also want to try 'hand pollinating'.
The vine position make me do pollinate easily.
I want to learn and practice a 'good agricultural practice'.
Be a good gardener....

20 comments:

  1. Pumpkin can be invasive! Those leaves are huge. I hope you'll get good pumpkins;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I hope so. Thank you for coming.Have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  2. Pięknie rośnie. Mam nadzieję, że doczekasz się wspaniałych owoców. Przesyłam pozdrowienia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's pretty spectacular, they grow so fast. No doubt you'll get some brilliant pumpkins from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CJ. It's that I want. Hoping the weather be friendly too.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful vines....I love peeking into your garden. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you have to hand pollinate pumpkins rather than leave it to nature? We tend to leave ours,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know. Actually I have never try hand pollinate before. Maybe hand pollinate will increase fruitlet production. I hope

      Delete
  6. This is so exciting! And look at how wonderful it is doing! I wish you luck with this beauty friend! A wonderful weekend to you! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Great job done by you! Wish you a good harvest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's fantastic! Hope it bears some fruit and you will get tasty pumpkins. I've not tried hand pollinating, I always leave it to nature, interesting to see how you get on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pumpkin Lady. I hope so. Actually I have never tried hand pollinating before, I let the flowers pollinated naturally. Maybe I can try and practice about a good pollination this season

      Delete
    2. Interesting to see how you get on. I will start a 'pumpkin watch' on my blog soon as the first pumpkin seeds were sown yesterday.

      Delete
    3. It must be very interesting! I have to follow your 'pumpkin watch'. I'm sure, I can take any lesson from it.

      Delete