---------------------------------------------

Friday, January 24, 2014

LOW COST URBAN GARDENING - PART 6

UNDER-PLANTING

Maybe this term is so usual for gardeners.
They usually grow short plants under the higher crops.


Look, I also practice this method on my terrace garden.
On a container, I have three varieties.
The main crop is tomato, and the additional are lettuce also a pot of garlic chives. 


How about this one....
I will pull out the red amaranths soon, and cook it.


They have different period on harvesting stage.
I planted the main crops on the center of containers.
The main crops means plant that have longer period on production life time, than the 'additional' crops.
 

The additional crops are harvested earlier before the main crops.
When the main crops need more space, the life time of additional crops is over.


 So, we use the space effectively.



16 comments:

  1. Fantastic advice here, Endah - something that I needed to be reminded of! I wonder if your weather makes crops grow faster (warmer soil, etc). It's not usually until late March/April that our soil is warm enough to sow outdoors (but we're having a particularly mild winter at the moment) which means we have a shorter outdoor growing season than you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caro. I'm sure during your short time in gardening, you get a lot of thing.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing your advice- this is something I had not really ever thought of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're certainly making use of every bit of space.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such nice looking plants, I can't wait to plant tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Endah, really miss working in the garden.
    For me, the soil is frozen.
    I admire your beautiful plants.
    Greetings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucia. I hope all that frozen in your garden will melt soon.

      Delete