---------------------------------------------

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

TIMUN JEPANG : FIRST NORMAL FRUIT

This season I'm growing Japanese cucumber or here we call it 'timun Jepang'.
I'm growing local variety 'Roberto', just sowed two seeds and both have grown so well.
But when the first female flower was popping up, the downy mildew came and made a little damage.
Then I cut the old leaves and only leaved the healthy leaves and shoots.


This is my second batch on growing this variety.
My first batch was not good enough, cause the downy mildew was infected the plants and made these plant dried then died. 



I have more expectation to these plants.
I've been noticing that these plants are much better than the plants at the first batch.


I'm growing these plants on two medium pots.
I guess they need bigger pots and better media.
The media should be rich on organic materials, especially fine compost.


I think, if I grow it on bigger pot and better media, I will find more female flowers and of course the fruit lets too.
I will try again, again and again...
I'm sure there are a lot of lessons from each failure.


Readers, are you growing cucumber this season?
Please share your experience.

22 comments:

  1. That is a fine cucumber, I have not had any as nice as that in my garden. The insects seem to eat the plants before they can produce any. You have done good with your potted plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. During this dry season, mealy bugs and downy mildew always be serious problems on my garden. Ste dry and windy weather makes the disease and bugs spread rapidly.

      Delete
  2. Ogromny ten ogórek! Ciekawe czy smakuje podobnie jak nasze. Ja mam tylko ogórki gruntowe. Niestety u nas też atakuje mączniak, w tym roku zbiory nie były zbyt udane.
    Serdecznie pozdrawiam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great cucumber there Endah, I buy a plant as the seeds are fiendishly expensive & one plant grows more than enough for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joanne. Yes, when I grew local varieties, the plants produced fruits so plentiful. I picked the fruits almost everyday for about a month until the plants finished their productive period. Looked so lovely.

      Delete
  4. I planted three cucumber plants..but they got some kind of disease with white spots all over the leaves. It produce a little. But not as good as yours have done. Your garden is so lovely. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, I found white spots on my cucumber leaves too. As long as I know, it's fungal disease. I cut all the infected leaves then spray it using garlic water, it's helpful.
      Have a wonderful weekend on your farmhouse, Teresa!

      Delete
  5. Cantik timunnya. Suka sikap Endah yang tidak pernah jemu mencuba dan mencuba.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terima kasih Kak Mala. Tak ada salahnya mencoba dan terus mencoba.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful cucumber. Unfortunately, there are very susceptible to powdery mildew.
    For me, the silly season ends because the approaching autumn, will be getting cooler.
    Greetings from Polish.
    Lucia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lucia. I think, if I live on your climate, I will feel so sad because 'the gardening party' is over.
      Have a warm weekend!

      Delete
  7. I've never grown cucumber, but my tomato plants got attacked by mildew... I was so disppointed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh please... I found mildew on my tomato patch too... that's really annoying.

      Delete
  8. I don’t grow cucumbers but these look very nice, congratulations on pursuing, gardening is trial and error :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yeah, as an amateur gardener I have to learn a lot of thing, trying so many new things with all of my soul. Keep trying to reach he success

      Delete
  9. Very nice cucumber Bu Endah... Congratulation on growing them...

    I have just started growing Timun Jepang, hopefully they will grow well,, :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hari. I hope you are lucky on growing this cucumber.

      Delete
  10. I got a few cucumbers. Enough to can dill relish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see... I'm growing dills on my terrace garden. I hope I could make cucumber-dill relish like yours.

      Delete